Board Member (Treasurer)
Health Works builds healthy communities with people at the bottom end of globalisation. Our mission is to implement welfare and health initiatives that lead to social inclusion and improved health and wellbeing. Coming from a health care background, Health Works found that improving health in extremely fragile situations requires a social – and not only medical – approach. Health Works developed a way to identify agency and resources in fragile populations, and engages the whole community in a process of identifying local problems. Local change agents than apply the sometimes hidden local resources and start a community dynamic that reunites people, strengthens social bonds, and restores healing relationships. Health Works does this successfully on the basis of cultural knowledge and therapeutic skills. Health Works studies the efficacy and efficiency of its work and publishes the results of its approach in peer-reviewed journals.
We currently implement projects in countries such as Afghanistan, Burundi, South Sudan, Colobia and Lesotho which are being supported by the head office in Amsterdam.
We are seeking a highly reputable experienced senior financial professional who is committed to giving considerable time and effort to play a critical role in guiding the further professionalization of the finance function. In collaboration with others, the Board Member oversees financial and fiscal matters of the organisation. He/she also oversees the development and Board review of the financial policies, procedures and reporting. Tasks include:
- Member of the risk and audit committee
- Reviews monthly management reports and shares the key issues with the other Board Members
- Provides advice to the Board, Executive Director and Financial Controller based on the organisation’s internal and external financial reports
- Reviews the forecast and budget, asking critical questions to ensure they are realistic and the financial risks are known and within tolerances
- Reviews the draft annual financial report ensuring accuracy, in cooperation with the Executive Director, Financial Controller and external Auditor
- Attends key meetings related to financial services provided to the organisation
- Ensures that the annual Finance Audit takes place and ensures local statutory compliance
- Takes part in discussions with donors and philanthropic families providing assurance of the very transparent use of funds
- A Chartered Accountant or similar certification.
- At least 15 years relevant experience within international organisations, with at least several years in a Senior Finance Leadership role
- Experience with an international NGO is preferred.
- Experience with regulatory guidelines for NGO reporting (RJ650) is preferred
- Substantial time spent in the Netherlands
- Board experience is highly desirable
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal and communication skills
- A polished “well rounded” professional presence
- Inspires, persuades, influences and gains other’s support for ideas or actions
- An opportunity to use your expertise and contribute to our mission to improve the health and well-being of people living in fragile states.
- This is a voluntary and unpaid position, by law
- A time commitment of two days (16 hours) per month for Board Meetings and preparatory work
- Out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed
How to apply?
To apply, please send your CV and motivation letter to: email@example.com by March 31st. When applying, include the following title in the email subject line: SBMT. The position is vacant as of June 2018.
For specific questions about this position, please contact our Executive Director Marc Tijhuis at 020-6200005.
More information about our organization or projects can be found on our website www.health-works.org